Working experience

by - August 09, 2014

It will be a long post & if there are some grammar mistakes, just ignore them haha.

After I finished my STPM examination, I worked as home tutor (I taught my mummy's friend's son) that the classes started on January. My friends & I applied as temporary primary school teacher (SPS area) as the salary was satisfying. Too bad, none of us were called for an interview (no replacement of teachers).


Yet, at the same time I still put a lot of efforts on looking for jobs but to no avail. I kept comforting myself that it was okay and one day one of the companies would hire me. Somehow I thought, did I look dumb or clumsy to handle office jobs ? Why didn't give me a chance to try ? Though I didn't have any working experience of office job before, it didn't mean that I was not able to do well.

I had no ideas whether it was my luck problem or what, was my performance of interview too bad ? I knew there were not so many jobs available in Nibong Tebal / Jawi, but my friends could still find jobs successfully. One month of failure made me depressed, seriously.As the saying goes, providence does not let down a man who does his best, my elder sister's past employer, Teacher Lim contacted her to arrange me for an interview (on second week of Feb). 

Therefore, besides working as home tutor (morning 2 days), tuition teacher was also my job (afternoon 2 days). Due to some reasons, started from mid-March, I worked for 4 hours for 6 days a week (tuition / homework teacher).

 I know my own personality too well, I don't like to deal with children. For me, children are always like trouble makers that u have to keep an eye on them all the time.

Schools are different with tuition centres, schools are free of charges but parents have to pay hundred ringgits for sending their child to a tuition centre. In my opinion, tuition teachers will be having more stresses than school teachers (though teachers have to stay at school for meeting / carrying out activities). That's why I would rather choose to be a temporary primary school teacher. Of course, it depends on how u cope with that stress & deal with the students.

Perhaps, I always have a secondary-student-look that makes people think that I may not look like an adult. I don't have the teacher-look although I wear glasses. During my class, some of the students behaved like monkeys & made noises. They refused to pay attention & kept talking or playing around. The class was always out of my controls. Even worse one, they started quarreling & then fighting instead of doing their own exercises that I had given. It was really a big trouble for me as it was my responsibility to make sure that they were learning in the class, but not fighting each other. I think maybe they got closer with me as a 'sister' but not as a teacher, so they didn't show their respects to me.

I tried hard to let them listen to me for almost 4 months but I failed. Therefore, I handled them by ignoring some of the super duper naughty students. It was actually a wrong method but at first I didn't think it would only deteriorate the situation since my primary tuition teachers also did like that (Parents & students nowadays are different than before). I admitted it was my fault not to realise.

In addition, I had never complained about their bad attitudes to my boss or their parents, cause I gave them chances. Yet, I found I was totally wrong. I gave them an inch & they would take a mile. Their problems became my problems. After I received some complaints about my performance from some parents, I had to reflect on myself & tried to change the ways of handling students. That time it was my last month of working, July. I was really unhappy to teach them, I felt my efforts was not appreciated. My parents, siblings & friends always asked me to resign but I didn't. It was not because I needed money badly, but I ever made promise to my boss that I would teach till 31th of July.

Few cases happened & I had never explained for myself as I thought explanation was just to cover. One of the cases made me feeling aggrieved but I knew it was my neglect. 2 students were eating in the class while I was teaching 4 students who were sitting in the front row. They were behind me & I didn't even know they were eating. It was too late when I noticed that cause they already finished more than 3/4 of the snacks. Anyway, I still scolded & warned them. What I couldn't expect was THEY FINISHED ALL OF THE SNACKS BY STEALTH. My boss asked me with reproach & I nearly failed to hold on my tears. I was really fed up with this kind of students & I burst into tears when I went home.

From this working experience, I discover that being a teacher is not easy. U not only have to teach well, but also make sure u are able to handle students with proper ways. A martinet teacher is always a successful teacher as students will listen to the teacher wholly, even the teacher doesn't use a high pitch voice to scold or punish students. I know my decision before for not going Maktab Perguruan interview was right. I didn't even want to be a teacher if I was given choice. Yet, I learn a lot & gain useful experiences for my future. I finally get clear of my pathway & I will work hard to pursue what I want. Lastly, thanks to Teacher Lim & the handwritten notes by the students (should be kids haha). I still feel grateful to experience all of these. :)

Group photo with pretty Teacher Lim & some of the students.
My face looks so PONG & round lol. My way of standing was not correct again lol.

Till then, my next post will be FOOD post ! *finally aha.


You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram @joejoe_pang