February - ready for new challenges !

by - January 29, 2018


Tmrw is the page 1 of February, so I'm going to share about my current life in this article. A warm reminder for each of you, it's a long post ! 😜😜

Before the ending of degree life, I was on the horns of a dilemma to submit my application of master. I was really clear that I would like to further my studies but there was uncertainty to continue in Mathematics field. Yet, I was interested with research of pure Mathematics like what I learnt and did during my fyp. I really took time to make so many considerations and also ask some frens who completed master to know more about the master course that I wanted to apply. And at last, I still left my application without clicking the submit button and I just missed out the application of September intake. 💔💔

To be true, I was regret of not submitting the application of master at first and then only taking into account. As there was no February intake of coursework or mixed mode master course that I would like to apply, which means I have to wait for another one year to be enrolled. I checked the postgraduate website of USM few times a week and who knows I saw hope - February intake was available ! Thus, during my internship, I finally applied master of Mathematics (mixed mode) in USM for February intake.

Yet, I did not make clear of what courses were offered during February intake. On the end of October, I got to know there was actually no Feb intake for master of Mathematics in the education fair in USM. I really had mixed feeling, perhaps I should go working first ? The idea came across my mind. Then I also did not think so much, I just searched another master courses in another universities. There were a lot of master courses to be offered for Feb intake in UM and at last I applied master of Economics (coursework) as the minimum period to complete was just one year.

To be backup plan if I decided to work first, I did apply the position of teacher in independent high school. Before convocation, I was called to attend interview in Han Jiang Independent High School after I back from Sabah to Penang. Another unexpected thing happened again, I just logged in into the application system to check and my master application in UM was already successful after I back to Penang. Again, I did not get a clear understanding about the master course in UM and I decided to go for it, so I phoned to Han Jiang and rejected the interview. 

I think after about 3 weeks, I received an email from USM that I was enrolled for master for Feb intake. I fall into dilemma again and due to previous experiences, I knew I could not simply accept any offers without asking for more information about the different courses. 😣😣

After asking and asking, apparently the minimum period to complete master of Economics in UM is at least one year and half, normally students take 2 years to complete. Also, for the living expenses in Petaling Jaya are quite high, 9 subjects and 1 research project are needed to take which sounds packed, which means I have to put full concentration on my studies. If I want to earn extra pocket money, I don't have confidence to complete in 3 semester but also working at the same time.

So obviously, I'm going to USM ! The minimum period to complete master of Mathematics is one year but for my case, I will start on Feb (second semester for master), I can only complete in one year and half. This is because during second semester, there are only 1 subject and thesis project for full time students to register. Master students are compulsory to take and pass at least 3 subjects during first semester, then only eligible to take thesis for next semester. 

  • first semester - 4 main core subjects
  • second semester - 1 main core subject and 1 thesis

Dean of Maths school in USM advised me to defer to Sept if I would like to complete in one year. Again, I made a lot of considerations about Feb intake and also Sept intake. And I have decided to continue master without any delays again. 😃😃
  • Mybrain15 scholarship will be opened for registration in year 2018 (I have master offer letter on hand)
  • I can work as full time with only one subject to save more money
  • Living expenses in Penang are much lower
  • 5 subjects and 1 thesis to complete master
  • I can always back home if I want
No doubts, I only take one subject in this semester and the class is actually on Saturday morning. Then I looked for some full time jobs and I attended an interview in Intel company on second week of January. I went for interview to ask and know more about the contract, as the contract is one year and I will be taking four subjects on Sept, so I may not able to cope with work and studies. I honestly told them my situation and they gave me three days to think twice. 😕😕

With good working environment, high salary (position title is engineer), flexible working hours (no OT) and good benefits with bonus for first month, it was really tempted and attractive. Yet, I still rejected as they were really sincere and determined to train their employee from graduate trainee to convert as permanent once they would like to take you. They also gave me some advice and told me about the efforts of employer and also employee needed to make for conversion of trainee to permanent. I feel bad if I can't commit for at least one year and just resign like that as I know my priority is studies. 

Therefore, I came out with a decision that I need looking for some long-term part time or full time jobs but not in contract form or permanent one. Daycare or tuition teacher is my first option, so I went for two interviews in daycare centre in my hometown, Nibong Tebal and also Bayan Lepas where is nearer to the house that I will be staying if I work there. Yes, at last I choose to work as daycare teacher (homework coaching) in Bayan Lepas. The salary is quite high (RM2k include transport allowances and lunch) and working hours are also reasonable, so I will start working on Feb and study master at the same time ! 😁😁

I'm truly grateful to be given the opportunities and also the financial support from my family for the fees of this semester. I work hard to be more financial independent slowly and learn financial management well. I believe that great things always take time. Let's fight together for a better tomorrow, for a better future. 💗💗

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hi!I'm a hbp degree student who just graduated from usm , and I'm abit late that now only start thinking about my postgraduate study QAQ...and so the Feb offer already passed so I have to wait for the Sept one...but my dad keep on suggesting for the private uni...I want to take mba course in usm or other public uni as consideration but really dont know how to apply, so can I ask that should I called the school themselves or email them to ask for the detail or any way to apply? And I heard that they actually need offer letter for us to submit to them so that they will keep it as consideration...is that true? Hope that you will reply soon, good luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram @joejoe_pang